My thoughts on knitting with beads.
1. Pretty. Very pretty.
2. I can’t travel with it.
3. I have 2 children and a very large dog. Having beads in the living room is too tempting for all of the parties involved.
4. See #2. If I can’t throw the knitting in my purse and walk out the door with it, it really isn’t working for my lifestyle.
5. It’s slower than just knitting a pattern.
6. But so pretty!
7. Have I mentioned #3? The dog is very very large. She believes she is a family member and that her nose belongs everywhere that there might be danger hiding. Yes, beads might be dangerous. Just ask my German Shepherd.
8. Can someone else just add the beads on afterward for me? I just want to knit.
9. Beads are seriously tempting. Both for 8 year olds and adults.
So why on earth am I knitting my Haruni Shawl with beads?
What I’m Knitting
I seem to be knitting the Stockinette Haruni with beads. It sort of just happened one night as I sat down to knit. I just happened to have the beads that coordinated nicely with the yarn. I also just happened to have the itty bitty crochet hook to put the beads on with. It just all sort of came together that way.
It’s slow going, but I’m really enjoying the satisfaction of a beaded row. I have to say that my whiney attitude towards beads was not entirely justified. While knitting with beads while my children were tolders was flat out crazy, now that the girls are older its not so bad. They actually have a sort of laissez faire attitude towards my knitting these days. I’m not even entirely sure that they would notice it unless it were to jump out and bite them.
I’m also working on the Zick Zack scarf. I put in a removable stitch marker so that I can see the progress I’m making. It makes me feel like I’m actually getting somewhere with the Zick Zack. The scarf is just over half my wing span. It continues to get compliments when I’m out and about with it.
I kind of sort of just bought yarn for a second one. I found myself in a yarn store over Easter break and I fell down the rabbit hole. I had great intentions of “just looking” for new ideas and before I knew it I was sitting on the floor with a bunch of gradient sock yarns looking for some serious contrast. I’m forcing myself to finish the first Zick Zack before starting a second. It’s taking serious will power on my part.
And look! I made progress on the sweater also! This is a great break from beading and counting. Because let’s face it, sometimes your brain is too tired for anything but stockinette (with a tiny amount of twisted rib thrown in) Now that the weather is warmer and I’m working on some colorful projects, I don’t mind the dark gray color that much. And compared to a scarf with fingering weight yarn, this feels like it is making some serious progress.
What are you working on this week?